Monday 27 June 2016

My Experience at the Hairdressers and What it's Taught Me

Hey,

So as I mentioned before I have a sew-in weave in my hair at the moment.

It's 4 rows of 18 inches of human hair, doubled-over wefts. It's super thick and long and I absolutely love it.

I had my first re-application appointment last week as it had been 8 weeks and my natural hair had grown out and it needed to be tightened. That's the only slight drawback with weaves as opposed to keratin bonds or nano rings: you need to go to the hairdresser every 6-8 weeks as opposed to every 3-6 months.

However the massive positive is that there's no sticky glue or knotted rings in your hair, which is the reason why I wanted a weave. They're also waaay thicker than individual strand extensions and so much quicker to apply. It's taken about an hour and a half both times for my stylist to attatch the weave.

When I went for my appointment I saw it as a really good opportunity. I would be having my hair shampooed and conditioned, and a head massage in the salon so it was the perfect time for me to learn. Well, I thought at least.

I wasn't prepared for the fact that my hair would be a little matted after the removal of the weave. After a few tugs and pulls in the chair I felt alright about my hair. But when I got to being shampooed and conditioned, the tugging and pulling on the matts during the 'comb through' was so painful! And it made me wonder: why are hairdressers taught to comb from top to bottom?

I've always combed my hair from bottom to top as long as I've known it to reduce the pain of detangling, and also to protect the integrity of my hair. It seemed so strange to me that while my hair was in it's weakest state (wet!) they were tugging and pulling at it from root to tip with a hair brush. It makes me shudder a little now just remembering the intense pain in my scalp.

From this experience I've definitely learned that I'm totally right in thinking we should brush from tip to root; even if a professional stylist has told me otherwise. I'd rather do it wrong than have a client feel so uncomfortable as I did the other day.

Despite this, I'll never give up the weave! I love it so much. Just maybe I'll try and avoid the matting this time (although I was told my hair was much better than most peoples'... I dread to think how their scalps felt)

Anyway that's just what was on my mind for now. I'll be starting the job on Friday, and tomorrow is my last day of work in my old job.

Exciting times!

- Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment